Alan Skarbnik, MD
Alan Pierre Zausner Skarbnik, M.D. serves as a staff physician in both the Department of Bone Marrow Transplantation and the Department of Lymphoma at John Theurer Cancer Center.
Prior to joining John Theurer Cancer Center at Hackensack University Medical Center, Dr. Skarbnik was a clinical instructor in the Department of Hematology and Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation at the City of Hope National Medical Center in Duarte, California. Dr. Skarbnik also previously served as Chief Fellow of Medical Oncology and Hematology at Fox Chase Cancer Center and Temple University Hospital, and practiced at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons/St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Medical Center in their internal medicine internship and residency after moving his medical career to the United States from his native Brazil.
Dr. Skarbnik has a rich research background, having served as a primary investigator at Fox Chase Cancer Center to identify biomarkers of sensitivity to mTOR inhibitors in renal cell cancer tumor samples, co-primary investigator in a Phase II study of Rituximab Intense Dosing with CHOP-21 in a 2011 ASCO/AACR workshop, and investigated the role of JAK mutations in the development of acute lymphoblastic leukemia at Memorial Sloan Kettering’s Human Oncopathogenesis Program. Dr. Skarbnik has also been extensively published and has participated in a number of presentations and poster sessions at major medical meetings.
Dr. Skarbnik specializes in hematology/oncology, and has extensive experience in a range of medical volunteer work conducted across the globe.
- Medical Education: Universidade de Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Residency: Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons/St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Medical Center, Internal Medicine Internship and Residency, 2007-2010. Hospital das Clinicas, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil, Internal Medicine Residency, 2005-2007.
- Fellowships: City of Hope National Medical Center, Adult Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation, 2013-2014. Fox Chase Cancer Center Chief Fellow 2012-2013. Fox Chase Cancer Center and Temple University Hospital, Medical Oncology and Hematology, 2010-2013.
- Internship: Hospital das Clinicas, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil, 2002-2003.
- Board Certifications: 2013 board-certified, American Board of Internal Medicine, Medical Oncology. 2013 board-certified, American Board of Internal Medicine, Hematology. 2010 board-certified, American Board of Internal Medicine, Internal Medicine. ACLS certification updated in 2013.
- Honors/Awards: ASCO 2013 Merit Award. LeDor VaDor Award, presented by the President of Brazil of voluntary work. ASCO/AACR Vail Cancer Workshop selection – 2011.
- Languages: English, Portuguese, Spanish
- Hobbies/Interests: Multi-instrumentalist, has played in a Brazilian band