Dr. James C. Salwitz is board certified in internal medicine, medical oncology, and hospice and palliative medicine. For more than 25 years, he has been treating patients in the central New Jersey community. His research interests are in hospice and palliative care, and in social media and healthcare.
Dr. Salwitz received his medical degree from the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey -- Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, where he was elected to Alpha Omega Alpha, the National Medical Honor Society. He completed his residency in internal medicine at the McGraw Medical Center of Northwestern University In Chicago, where he earned the title of Chief Resident. He conducted his Oncology fellowship training at the National Cancer Institute in Bethesda, MD. He is certified by the American Board of Hospice and Palliative Medicine.
Dr. Salwitz is a Clinical Professor at Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, where he was awarded the Alpha Omega Alpha Outstanding Volunteer Faculty of the Year Award in 1999. He is currently the Treasurer of the Medical Board of Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital. He is the past President of the Middlesex Chapter of the American Cancer Society. He has received numerous other honors and awards, including the New Jersey Palliative Care Organization’s Physicians Leadership Award. Dr. Salwitz has been included numerous times in lists of the "Top Doctors" in Medical Oncology by Castle Connolly, and "Top Doctors" in the New York Metro Area, by Inside Jersey magazine and U.S. News & World Report. His independent blog articles can be accessed on his website SunriseRounds.com.
Dr. Salwitz is a member of the American Medical Association, American Society of Clinical Oncology, Medical Society of New Jersey, and Oncology Society of New Jersey.
- Medical Education: University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey (UMDNJ)
- Residency: McGraw Medical Center, Northwestern University, Chicago
- Fellowship: National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD
- Board Certifications: Internal medicine, medical oncology, hospice and palliative medicine
- Research Interests: Hospice and palliative care, social media and healthcare
- University Appointments: Clinical Professor, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
- Honors/Awards: Top Doctor: Castle Connolly; Top Docs in the New York Metro Area, Inside Jersey magazine, U.S. News & World Report; Robert Wood Johnson Hospital Alpha Omega Alpha Outstanding Volunteer Faculty of the Year Award, National Palliative Care Organization's Physician Leadership Award
- Memberships: American Medical Association; American Society of Clinical Oncology; Medical Society of New Jersey; Oncology Society of New Jersey
- Languages Spoken: English